The Apocalypses Zeta 2
Its just your every day average 2031 day. The weather seems to be perfect for the era. The Earth is oddly politically stable with no major wars taking place. The global unemployment rate has reached 25% with less developed countries being significantly worse. Despite the lack of wars the high unemployment has led to routine riots and protests by those lacking employment. Police in some areas harshly crack down on riots while others have simply decided to shut down the cities while riots are taking place with surveilance systems capturing video evidence of anyone breaking the law. Such evidence is then used to quickly convict the wrong doers. Those attempting to mask their identities are easily exposed through newer biometric scanning systems.
Earth has sent probes throughout the solar system and has managed to successfully begin mining asteroids and moons throughout the system. A lunar colony is currently in the planning phases by the United States and a rival colony being planned by China.
You are all in New York City for whatever reason.
- Points: 50
- Disadvantage Limit: 20, +5 for quirks.
- Exception: If taking the Magical Dependency that can be your only disdvantage and may go beyond the 20.
- Disadvantage Limit: 20, +5 for quirks.
- Tech Level: 9+, Barely entering TL9, robotics slightly more advanced technologically than GURPS predicts.
- Characters must be capable of making a living be it civilian, government, or other.
Magic is possible for humans through the use of drugs. These drugs have the unfortunate side effect of making the character dependent upon the drugs to continue to live. As a result of this society tends to discourage the use of the drugs and puts a fairly substantial cost on the drugs. The drugs are covered under no insurance policies or government programs.
Due to the powers attainable by individuals, most governments have procedures for those seeking the drugs. The procedures in the United States are such that it is more difficult to get a permit to use the drugs than it is to get fully automatic weapons. This involves extensive medical checks, psychological analysis, and a criminal background check. Any red flag or warning sign causes the rejection of the application. This tends to keep criminals from obtaining the drugs, but where there is a will there is a way and the underworld has the drugs.
In countries such as Mexico the drug gangs procured the drugs and exert direct control over their governments.
- Maximum Spheres per Arcanum: 3
- Space: Will be highly limited in power, definitely no long distance teleporting. Can discuss placement of remote viewing and ranged casting due to this limitation.
- Others: Could potentially be limited in some way.
- Dependency - Damage taken by the failure to take the drugs cannot be healed until the drug is being used again. No magic, other drug, or anything else can restore the HP without also taking another dose of the drug.
- Base [-30] (Common, Daily) - Four spheres
- Designer [-40] (Common, Hourly) - Six Spheres
- Expensive but doable if you don't want to buy anything but the drugs.
- Arch Mage [-50] (Common, Constant) - Eight Spheres
- Would be very expensive to maintain this and you'd likely meet and early death in the campaign.
- Cost: 0
- Operating System: Android 29.0.3 (Sloppy-Joe)
- Civilian Model: Googlrola
- Military Model: General Dynamics
- Digital Mind 
- Intuitive Mathematician 
- Modular Abilities, Computer Brain 
- 1 ability, can purchase additional or improve this single ability at normal cost.
- Telecommunication: Choose One 
- Laser (point-point)
- This is considered more secure than the Satellite option due to its point to point setup.
- Short Wave [+50%, already included] - provides global access.
- This is considered more insecure but more flexible than the Laser option. It is more secure because it isn't directional in nature meaning transmissions go in all directions and are received from all directions. People could theoretically hack your secure signals or attempt to hack you.
- Laser (point-point)
- Talent 
- Civilian Model: Electonics Repair (Computers), 5 more of choice.
- Military Model: Electonics Repair (Computers), Firearm Skill of Choice, Soldier, 3 more of choice.
- IQ 8 (MAX) [-40]
- Possession 
- Digital [-40%]
- Possession 
- Cost: 0
Items here are mandatory. If you don't wish to utilize it, don't. Military command will require that you have them with you though.
- 1 Longarm (Laser Rifle, Laser Sniper Rifle, Electrolaser Carbine)
- 1 Sidearm (Laser Pistol, Electrolaser Pistol)
- 1 Melee Weapon (Hatchet, Throwing Axe, Knife, Dagger, etc must be bladed)
- Armor (Ballistic, Tactical)
- Ballistic Helmet - Visor/HUD, Re-breather
- Reinforced Boots (Combat Boots)
- Backpack, Frame aka rucksack.
- First Aid Kit
- Holster, Belt (for the pistol)
- Water, 1 quart
- Additional gear as needed for the mission (ex: sleeping bag, 1 man tent, parachute, space suit)
- Explosives: Grenades, C4
- Communications Gear: Satellite Phone, Wearable Computer
- Medical Gear: Crash Kit, Surgical Instruments
- Optics (Binoculars, telescopes, etc)
- Spy Gear: Homing Beacon
- Survival Gear: Cigarette Lighter, Climbing Gear, Flashlight, Matches
- Weapon Accessories: Laser Sight, Scope, etc.
Skills that May be Helpful
- Armoury (Small Arms) - Could be used to take your guns from Normal to Fine quality through tinkering. Will not allow this through defaulting.
- Beam Weapons (Rifle and/or Pistols) - Shoostings!
- Climbing - A wall is between you and sneaking into the enemy compound, you could blow it up and lose the element of surprise or sneak over.
- Driving (Whatever) - Nuclear powered tanks don't drive themselves... unless HaB1 has been installed on it.
- Electronics Repair (Computers) - I am programmed for your pleasure, assume the position.
- Explosives - BLOW SHIT UP!!!
- First Aid (TL9) - Tis only a flesh wound.
- Forward Observer - Call in strikes from afar.
- Intelligence Analysis - What are they going to be doing?
- Leadership - Keep firing assholes!
- Observation - I see NUSSING!
- Pilot (Low-Performance Spacecraft) - There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
- Soldier - Doing shit under pressure in combat.
- Stealth - Lily SMASH!
- Tactics - Not sure you'll have another drug cartel lieutenant at your disposal on an alien planet.
- Tracking - Which way did they go boss? Which way did they go?
- Traps - This + Explosives = Vietnamese jungle traps.
Human Officer, Lieutenant
All Officers assume Officer Candidate School and not simply due to having attended college. This represents fresh out of training obviously.
US Lieutenant (35 points) Human; 5'11"; 180 ST 10 ; DX 10 ; IQ 10 ; HT 12 . Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 ; Will 10 ; Per 10 ; FP 12 . Basic Speed 5.5 ; Basic Move 5 ; Block 6 (DX); Dodge 8; Parry 8 (DX). Social Background TL: 9 . Skills Beam Weapons/TL9 (Rifle)-11 (DX+1) ; Expert Skill (Military Science)-8 (IQ-2) ; First Aid/TL9 (Human)-10 (IQ+0) ; Hiking-12 (HT+0) ; Intelligence Analysis/TL9-8 (IQ-2) ; Leadership-9 (IQ-1) ; Savoir-Faire (Military)-10 (IQ+0) ; Soldier/TL9-11 (IQ+1) ; Strategy (Land)-8 (IQ-2) ; Tactics-8 (IQ-2) .
Human Soldier, Trained
This represents those trained prior to the invasion and having gone through a full version of boot camp and infantry school.
US Soldier (30 points) Human; 5'11"; 180 ST 10 ; DX 10 ; IQ 10 ; HT 12 . Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 ; Will 10 ; Per 10 ; FP 12 . Basic Speed 5.5 ; Basic Move 5 ; Block 6 (DX); Dodge 8; Parry 8 (DX). Social Background TL: 9 . Skills Beam Weapons/TL9 (Rifle)-11 (DX+1) ; First Aid/TL9 (Human)-10 (IQ+0) ; Hiking-12 (HT+0) ; Savoir-Faire (Military)-10 (IQ+0) ; Soldier/TL9-11 (IQ+1) .
Human Soldier, Volunteer
This represents a crash-course in military training for those wishing to take the fight to the aliens. Assumes little to no combat experience during the invasion.
US Volunteer (5 points) Human; 5'11"; 180 ST 10 ; DX 10 ; IQ 10 ; HT 10 . Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 ; Will 10 ; Per 10 ; FP 10 . Basic Speed 5 ; Basic Move 5 ; Block 6 (DX); Dodge 8; Parry 8 (DX). Social Background TL: 9 . Skills Beam Weapons/TL9 (Rifle)-10 (DX+0) ; First Aid/TL9 (Human)-10 (IQ+0) ; Hiking-9 (HT-1) ; Savoir-Faire (Military)-10 (IQ+0) ; Soldier/TL9-9 (IQ-1) .
Players may choose one of the following additional disadvantages if keeping their current character. Many NPC humans will also have these.
- Human Loyalist - DA: Sense of Duty (Human, Entire Race) [-15]
- Your experiences in the war made you realize how fragile humanity is and you would do anything in your power to protect it.
- Jihadist - DA: Fanaticism (Jihad vs Aliens) [-15]
- Your experiences in the war made you bitter and you wish to hurt aliens in any way you can, no matter the costs.
- Mile Long Stare - DA: Absent-Mindedness [-15] or Short Atendtion Span [-10]
- Your experiences during the war left you totally shell-shocked and your mind has had an extremely hard time coping with what all you witness and all of those whom you lost.
- Shaker - DA: Post-Combat Shakes [-5]
- Your experiences during the war were traumatic to the point that you struggle mentally after any combat experience.